[BioC] good news and bad news

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Thu Aug 16 19:44:23 CEST 2012

Hi Michael,

On 08/16/2012 10:25 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Hervé Pagès <hpages at fhcrc.org
> <mailto:hpages at fhcrc.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     People generally ask "do you want me to start with the good or with
>     the bad news?" Here they are in no particular order (both are changes
>     in BioC devel):
>
>     - I've added the mcols() accessor as the preferred way (over
>        elementMetadata() and values()) to access the metadata columns.
>        Also the term "metadata columns" is now used consistently
>        everywhere in the IRanges/GenomicRanges/__Rsamtools documentation
>        (instead of "element metadata", "elementMetadata columns",
>        "values", "columns of values", "metadata values",
>        "elementMetadata values", etc...)
>

> I am wondering about the name choice. What about "metaframe"? That way
> it is similar to the analogous but differently shaped "metadata" and
> conveys the nature of the return value.

The name of the accessor should be consistent with the english term we
use in emails or in the documentation. I don't remember anybody
referring to the metadata columns as the "meta frame" or the
"metadata frame". Beside "mcols" is shorter than "metaframe".

>        Having 3 synonyms for accessing the same thing is of course not
>        ideal but I hope we can remedy this in the future.
>
>     - I've added "$" and "$<-" methods for GRanges *only*. Provided
>        as a convenience and as the result of strong popular demand. Note
>        that those methods are not consistent with the other "$" and "$<-"
>        methods defined in the IRanges/GenomicRanges infrastructure, and
>        might confuse some users by making them believe that a GRanges
>        object can be manipulated as a data.frame-like object. It is
>        therefore recommended to use them only interactively, and
>        their use in scripts or packages is discouraged (in that
>        case, 'mcols(x)$name' should be used instead of 'x$name').
>

> Awesome. So it is now time to begin the campaign for adding this to
> GRangesList, since people will be confused about the inconsistency
> between the very similar (often interchangeable) data structures.

"$" is already implemented for GRangesList and does the right thing.

Cheers,
H.

E-mail: hpages at fhcrc.org
Phone:  (206) 667-5791