[BioC] DESeq Fold-Change calculation

Lana Schaffer schaffer at scripps.edu
Mon Aug 27 17:43:14 CEST 2012

Simon,
Yes, I was incorrect in saying that the FC calculation used unnormalized values.

I have been given 2 equivalent datasets (8 controls and 8 treated) and need to
"Show 'concordant' or reproducible hits".   Using DESeq, dataset B gave only
21  (set B) transcripts significant compared to 431 for dataset A.  Turns out
That the stdev was higher for set B.
	Standard Deviation
Dataset	control	treat
A	       76	     130
B	       96	     164

The package edgeR is giving more usable results for the 2 datasets :
416 (A) and 145 (B) transcripts with 76 overlapping.  Perhaps the variance
Is controlled better in edgeR?

Lana