[BioC] Oligo package annotation

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Fri Dec 14 15:58:48 CET 2012

Please don't take conversations off-list. We like to think of the list
archives as a repository of information.

On 12/14/2012 5:45 AM, Bruno Giotti wrote:
> Ok thanks, but what should i do to query the pd.hugene.1.1.st.v1
> annotation pack and retrieving some useful IDs? I could use the
> package you suggested me but i'd like to first understand how to use
> this one ( pd.hugene.1.1.st.v1).

The pd.hugene.1.1.st.v1 package is NOT an annotation package. Instead,
it maps the locations of probes on the array to different probesets.
This package is used by oligo to decide which probes go into which
probeset, so you can summarize at different levels (e.g., for the HuGene
arrays, at the 'probeset' level, which is roughly exon-level, or at the
transcript level).

Unless you have a real need to know where things are on the chip, the
pd.hugene.1.1.st.v1 package is not of much use. Well, let me take that
back. I have found that the intronic background controls have a really
bad habit of popping up in lists of differentially expressed genes.
There are any number of hypotheses that I can come up with that would
explain why this is so, but in the end I haven't found any end users who
really care. So I use the pd.hugene.1.1.st.v1 package to figure out
which probesets are not controls, and exclude them prior to selecting
differentially expressed genes. The getMainProbes() function in
affycoretools is useful in this respect.

So back to the story at hand. Since the pd.hugene.1.1.st.v1 package
doesn't do annotations, you need to use the
hugene11sttranscriptcluster.db package. It does use a SQLite database as
its backend, but unless you like to do SQL queries this is of no relevance.

The canonical reference for using these annotation packages is the Intro
to Annotation Packages, which can be accessed by

library(hugene11sttranscriptcluster.db)
openVignette()

and then choosing

  AnnotationDbi - AnnotationDbi: Introduction To Bioconductor Annotation
Packages

if you care about the internals, you can read

AnnotationDbi - How to use bimaps from the ".db" annotation packages

And if you just want to create annotated output, take a look at the
annaffy package, which automates these things.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.