[BioC] filtering before using DESeq

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Sat Dec 15 18:10:59 CET 2012

Il giorno Dec 15, 2012, alle ore 5:53 PM, "Akula, Nirmala (NIH/NIMH) [C]" <akulan at mail.nih.gov> ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> What would be a reasonable/widely used cut-off for overall variance and overall sum?
>
> Thanks for pointing out the number format. The example I gave is from eXpress software and I rounded the numbers to closest integer before I input into DESeq

Nirmala,

it's a bit more subtle than that. DESeq expects actual counts of fragments, please do read the DESeq vignette.

I have no experience with combining eXpress and DESeq, or whether what you are doing is scientifically valid, but unless you are comfortable with making your own statistical models and strategies, I'd recommend following an established path rather than cutting your own - where you would be on your own.

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang