[BioC] BaseCounts & edgeR

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Feb 4 00:25:40 CET 2012

Dear Marco,

It is amazing that CASAVA is unable to return read counts.  If that is
really true, then perhaps you should switch to a better mapping/count
tool.  My lab uses subread, which is better, faster and available as a
Bioconductor package.

You cannot use edgeR (or DESeq) to analyse base counts.  The negative
binomial assumptions of those packages would be grossly violated.
However, the limma-voom pipeline for RNA-Seq data would remain valid for
base counts, and is highly competitive with the negative binomial
approach.  limma-voom is optimized for the same sort of quadratic
mean-variance relationship as the negative binomial approach, but without
making assumptions about the form of the distribution or the absolute size
of the counts.  See the last case study in the limma User's Guide.

Best wishes
Gordon