[BioC] Updating

Iain Morrison Iain.Morrison at mrc-epid.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 16:07:33 CET 2012

Dear All,
  we update our R installation via a cron job, but it fails with

 Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) :
  You have an outdated biocLite() function. Run 'rm(biocLite)' and try
again.
Calls: source ... local -> eval.parent -> eval -> eval -> eval -> eval
Execution halted

If the commands are run directly in R or the cron script is run from a
terminal everything work as expected.

> source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
BiocInstaller version 1.2.1, ?biocLite for help
> biocLite(character(), ask=FALSE, checkBuilt=TRUE)
BioC_mirror: 'http://www.bioconductor.org'
Using R version 2.14, BiocInstaller version 1.2.1.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

cron script
-----------

#!/bin/sh

unset DISPLAY

/usr/local/bin/R CMD BATCH -q /usr/local/lib/R/scripts/R_update.R
/usr/local/lib/R/scripts/R_update.Rout

cat /usr/local/lib/R/scripts/R_update.Rout

# The End

/usr/local/lib/R/scripts/R_update.R
------------------------------------

options(repos=c(CRAN="http://cran.ma.imperial.ac.uk/"))
update.packages(ask=F, checkBuilt=T)
source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite(character(), ask=FALSE, checkBuilt=TRUE)

The system is RHEL 6 x64.

thanks

iain

--