[BioC] DESeq on transcripts v/s genes

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Sun Feb 5 12:16:23 CET 2012

Dear Abishek

there was some anxiety regarding double-counting / redundancy in this
thread. Actually, there is very little reason to worry. DESeq tests
sequentially one hypothesis after the other. It does not matter whether
they are correlated or not.

The one consideration where the correlations / redundancy can matter is
multiple testing correction. As long as you go for FDR, again there is
little to worry, since the redundancy pops up both in the numerator and
denominator of the ratio (the "R" in FDR) and at least to good enough
approximation cancels out.

If you go for family-wise error rate (FWER) and, say, Bonferroni
correction, then the redundancy and the increase in number of tests do
matter. But there seem few reasons to use FWER/Bonferroni in this context.

	Hope this helps
	Wolfgang

Feb/2/12 12:46 AM, Abhishek Pratap scripsit::
> Hi All
>
> I am wondering if conceptually I can use the DESeq to test for differential
> transcript expression compared to genes. In our case we have generated a
> transcript model based on RNA-Seq and if we try to collapse those
> transcripts to genes in order to do gene level differential expression many
> exons are collapsed to give rise to artificial exons.
>

> eg :
>

> Transcript 1 :        ---------------------- (exon)
> Transcript 2 :                        -----------------------------(exon )
>
> Gene level :          -------------------------------------------- (exon)
>
> Also another thing that comes to my mind if the effect of double counting
> if I take the read counts at transcript level due to exon redundancy.
>
> I would love to hear from your experience.
>
> Thanks!
> -Abhi
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Best wishes