[BioC] Two populations on microarray

Ben Tupper btupper at bigelow.org
Tue Feb 7 15:19:35 CET 2012

Hi,

On Jan 21, 2012, at 2:59 PM, Naomi Altman wrote:

> I agree with Gordon.
>
> I doubt that the double cloud has anything to do with differential expression.  There is something odd going on technically.  The usual types of normalization are not going to fix the problem.

Thanks for the assistance - we took up the suggestions that Gordon proposed.  We have successfully assigned weight = 0 to the problematic points.  I encouraged us to use a brute force identify-and-kill approach, but Joaquin's more nuanced inter-slide comparison approach prevailed.  The MA plots look great now but the subsequent between-array normalizations seem problematic, or at least the diagnostic plotDensities() graphics points to continuing issues.  This plot shows 4 diagnostic plots for one array ...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8433654/slide-52-MA-diagnostics.png

In the left column are shown the results of plotMA(MA,...) with zero.weights set to TRUE/FALSE so that we can show/hide the weight = 0 spots.

In the right column are shown the results of a slightly modified plotDensities(MA,...) where I have added a zero.weights argument to the original plotDensities() function.  The upper plot is identical to the output from the original plotDensities() function, while the lower plot simply removes the weight = 0 spots before computing the density distribution.  Because the MA-to-RG transformation in the original plotDensities() function doesn't take weights into account, it becomes difficult to use the function with our data to visually diagnose the effect the normalization functions.

The upper right plot leads us to believe that we have some serious issues.  But the lower right plot tells us that we are ok - obviously we like the lower right one better!

So, are we fooling ourselves by thinking the histogram at lower right is enough to tell us that we are good to go on to the next step?  If we are fooling ourselves, then what would you advise us to do instead?

Thanks so much!
Ben Tupper

> [...]
>>
>>  imageplot(z,layout,low="white",high="blue")
>>
>> There is no way for you normalize out this problem, and certainly not
>> within the limited capabilities of GenePix software.
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Gordon

>> Professor Gordon K Smyth,
>> Bioinformatics Division,
>> Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
>> 1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Vic 3052, Australia.
>> smyth at wehi.edu.au
>> http://www.wehi.edu.au
>> http://www.statsci.org/smyth
>>

>> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012, Joaquin Martinez wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Naomi, Gordon and Ben,
>>>

>>> Thank you for your replies to Ben Tupper's (and my) question.
>>>

>>> We are using spotted oligonucleotide microarrays containing probes for both
>>> host and virus genes. In our experiment we had cultures grown under high
>>> and low phosphate conditions, inoculated with 2 different viruses
>>> (separately) or kept virus-free, in triplicate. RNA purified from those
>>> cultures at different time points was fluorescently labeled (with Cy-dyes)
>>> and hybridized onto the microarray slides. You can see a flow chart of our
>>> experimental design here:
>>>
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8433654/design-concept.pdf
>>>

>>> One slide contains 2 samples which had different experimental treatments.
>>> Each sample was split into 3, labeled (dye swap) and hybridized onto 3
>>> different microarray slides in combination with another sample to allow
>>> technical replication.
>>>

>>> I quantified labeling efficiency prior to hybridizing the samples onto the
>>> microarray slide, for both dyes I got between 30 and 60 dye molecules per
>>> 1000 nt (what is the range indicated by the manufacturer for good
>>> labeling). Also we produced FB plots for the green and the red channels,
>>> both had similar z-range and saturation range, which we interpreted as a
>>> proof of good labeling (?). See example:
>>>
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8433654/R-G-imageplot.png
>>>

>>> Both MA clusters that we observe contain a mixture of both host and virus
>>> probes, ruling out that one complete set of probes failed. Naomi mentioned
>>> that the nondifferentially expressing genes should cluster around M=0, so
>>> does that mean that the top cluster corresponds to differentially expressed
>>> genes?
>>>

>>> We used GenePix Pro to scan and analyze the microarrays. Could we use the
>>> normalization function in the software (normalize the data in each image so
>>> that the mean of the median of ratios of all features is equal to 1) as an
>>> alternative to MA? Or would that simply hide the problem? And then do
>>> normalization between arrays using the quantile method?
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Joaquin

>> The information in this email is confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
>> You must not disclose, forward, print or use it without the permission of the sender.

Ben Tupper
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
180 McKown Point Rd. P.O. Box 475
West Boothbay Harbor, Maine   04575-0475
http://www.bigelow.org