[BioC] easyRNASeq - error reading single chromosome bam

Nicolas Delhomme delhomme at embl.de
Tue Feb 7 17:43:22 CET 2012

Hi Francesco,

> Uhm, that was my first guess, having an alignment with the ENSEMBL reference with a process using UCSC formats.

Yes, but that should still have worked fine. I'm quite sure that I'd guess the names right.

> All the warnings look like the same
> Error in FUN(c("GL000229.1", "GL000200.1", "GL000228.1", "GL000241.1",  :
>   (list) object cannot be coerced to type 'integer'
> In addition: There were 50 or more warnings (use warnings() to see the first 50)
> > warnings()
> Warning messages:
> 1: 'matchMatrix' is deprecated.
> Use 'as.matrix' instead.
> See help("Deprecated")
> 2: 'matchMatrix' is deprecated.
> Use 'as.matrix' instead.
> See help("Deprecated")
> 3: 'matchMatrix' is deprecated.
> Use 'as.matrix' instead.
>
> Now, the point is: I should be able to easily adjust this somewhere, should I?
> Wouldn't be economical running another alignment just to add a "chr".
>
> I thought using chr.map could serve to this purpose but I was wrong, I bet I didn't understand its function.

No, I'm sure you got it correctly. From what you describe that's exactly its purpose.

Anyway, thanks to the warning, I just realized that Hervé (Pages, from Bioc) change some function signature. I.e. the findOverlaps does not return a matchMatrix anymore and this is what makes easyRNASeq fail...

The easiest for me would probably be to use your data excerpt to fix that problem. Do you see any way I could download them? We can set-up that off-list of course.

Cheers,

Nico

> [...]
>>
>> Why is it important that the names are identical?
>>
>> 1) between the annotation and the bam file: when assigning the reads to the gene, is it important that they both share the same reference, i.e. that they can be located on the same chromosomes.
>>
>> 2) between the annotation, bam file and the chr.size: imagine the case where you have genes present in your annotation that are located at the end of the chromosomes and for which you get no reads. Without defining the chr.size, the coverage vector generated using the reads would stop before the end of the chromosomes. Trying to access the coverage information for these genes would then simply fail.
>>
>> In your case, chromosomes are called GL000225.1 or 22 in your bam files whereas they are probably called chr1, chr2, etc... in your annotation and chr.sizes objects. In such case, I'm trying to guess the right names and emit warnings.  Can you please post the warnings so that I double-check this?
>>
>> Finally, the fitType="local" arguments is one for DESeq, so you can drop it as well here, not that it would have any effect when not using DESeq normalization.
>>
>> Btw, I've adapted easyRNASeq to the new DESeq version which object structure changed in the current development release,but it seems you've got the latest release :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Nico

>> Nicolas Delhomme
>>
>> Genome Biology Computational Support
>>
>> European Molecular Biology Laboratory
>>
>> Tel: +49 6221 387 8310
>> Email: nicolas.delhomme at embl.de
>> Meyerhofstrasse 1 - Postfach 10.2209
>> 69102 Heidelberg, Germany
>>

>> On 7 Feb 2012, at 15:07, Lescai, Francesco wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Nico,
>>> thanks for your quick answer.
>>> Here it is the information you ask, it might be quite lengthy.
>>> Unfortunately I get the same error in generating the RNAseq object as well.

>>> +                            organism="HSapiens",
>>> +                            chr.sizes=as.list(seqlengths(Hsapiens)),
>>> +                            readLength=100L,
>>> +                            annotationMethod="biomaRt",
>>> +                            format="bam",
>>> +                            count="exons",
>>> +                            filenames=bamfiles,
>>> +                            normalize=FALSE,
>>> +                            outputFormat="RNAseq",
>>> +                           fitType="local"
>>> +                           )
>>> Checking arguments...
>>> Fetching annotations...
>>> Summarizing counts...
>>> Processing SRR349689_1.fastq.novo.new.chr1.bam
>>> Error in FUN(c("GL000229.1", "GL000200.1", "GL000228.1", "GL000241.1",  :
>>>  (list) object cannot be coerced to type 'integer'
>>> In addition: There were 50 or more warnings (use warnings() to see the first 50)
>>>
>>> I also tried using a local annotation file, generated this way

>>> genome="hg19",
>>> tablename="refGene")