[BioC] Poisson noise with respect to digital gene expression

Dave Tang davetingpongtang at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 18:33:36 CET 2012

Dear list,

I have a very basic question regarding Poisson noise or shot noise with
respect to differential expression analysis of digital gene expression
data. As an example, if one source of RNA was made into 7 identical
RNA-Seq libraries and then sequenced on 7 individual lanes, when comparing
the sequence data we would still expect differences between the gene
counts due to shot noise.

Using the rpois() function I generated some data that follows a Poisson
distribution and checked the data distribution in terms of standard
deviations. In contrast to the 68-95-99.7 rule for the normal
distribution, I observed percentages of 73-96-99.6.

So in my digital gene expression example above, if I calculated the mean
across the 7 technical replicates for one particular gene, I can expect
that the counts for each respective library should lie within one or two
standard deviations of the mean. Is this what the Poisson or shot noise is
referring to?

Many thanks,

--
Dave