[BioC] edgeR: GLM & residuals and model fitting & hypothesis testing

Susanne Franssen s.franssen at uni-muenster.de
Thu Feb 16 08:33:53 CET 2012

Dear Gordon,

thanks, a lot for you answer, however I am a little more uncertain now
what to do.

> 1) You may know that there are many different definitions of "residuals"
> from a generalized linear models, and none of them have the properties of
> residuals from normal linear models.  I have not found residuals very useful
> myself in a genomic differential expression context.
>
> What sort of residuals did you want, and what were you planning to do with
> them?

Indeed I am not aware of this difference!
I was thinking of the residual errors in a normal linear model. The
problem in my analysis is that I only have 3 df (4 libs) to start
with, so I cannot model the complete model
individual+treatment+individual*treatment. So an idea was to model
individual+treatment and afterwards do a model on the interaction only
on the remaining residual errors as new observed vector.
Is something like this at all possible or am I completely wrong here?

> 2) You must always fit the model with all relevant factors:
> individual*treatment.  You cannot do meaningful inference from a reduced
> model until you have determined that the other factors are not important.
> Hence you have to deal with the interaction first.

It makes sense to have to put in all relevent factors to the model.
However, concerning this I don't understand your comment - I have to
deal with the interaction first, wouldn't the full model be:
individual+treatment+individual*treatment (which I can't do because of
a lack of df)
Cosidering my samples & factors:
>> I have a fully crossed design with 2 factors and 2 factor levels each:
>> individual <- as.factor(c("indA","indA","indB","indB"))
>> treatment <- as.factor(c("treat1","treat2","treat1","treat2"))

how would the cmd for the design matrix look like:
design <- model.matrix(~??)
and with which cmd would I fit the model and test for it:
fit <- glmFit(d.GLM,design)
lrt <- glmLRT(d.GLM,fit, coeff=?)

Thanks a lot,
Susanne