[BioC] Help with promoter analysis

Yuan Hao yuan.x.hao at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 16:14:06 CET 2012

Hi Davy,

This is a bit off the topic of the list, but hope it could be of help
some others.

My personal experience is biomart is based on Ensembl gene
annotations, which won't be exactly the same if you adopt another
annotation, like UCSC,  in terms of gene names, transcripts... Apart
from the differences may exist in mitochondria genome included by
these two databases, I believe the master majority of the genes are
the same coordinated on the genome, so it should be ok to download the
promoter sequences from either, and biomart is quite efficient on this.

In terms of motif searching, it's really depends on the programs/
tools, i.e. the algorithms, you pick up to use.

Cheers,
Yuan

P.S. Promoters from UCSC could be retrieved from its table browser.