[BioC] DESeq for an mRNA-seq time course

Simon Anders anders at embl.de
Thu Jan 5 10:25:57 CET 2012

Hi Elena

With this here

    fit1 <- fitNbinomGLMs(cds, count ~ treat.type + time.hr)
    fit0 <- fitNbinomGLMs(cds, count ~ treat.type)

you are testing against the null hypothesis that a gene's expression is
independent of the time of the sample, i.e., you will get a hit whenever
you can reject the claim that the gene has the same expression in all
five time points. This is a pretty narrow null hypothesis. It seems
quite plausible to me that around 50% of the genes change noticeable
over time.

Note also that treatment is a factor in both your full model and in your
null model, so you are not testing whether the treatment has an effect.
I suspect that this might not be what you want.

In a simple comparison of treatment vs control the question one wants to
test is usually fairly obvious: does the treatment influence the
expression or not. For time course data one usually does not have such
an obvious yes-or-no question, and hence, you may need to tell us more
about what exactly you want to test before we can advise you.

   Simon