[BioC] Why edgeR ouput some p values larger than 1

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Jan 6 23:35:27 CET 2012

Dear Yuan,

exactTest() does not produce p-values larger than one as far as I am
aware.  For example I just ran:

> library(edgeR)
> example(exactTest)
> summary(de$table$p.value)
    Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
  0.1295  0.4351  0.6770  0.6201  0.8535  1.0000
> max(de$table$p.value)
[1] 1

If you think there are p-values>1, please give an example.  You can't
judge from a histogram, because the right bar of the plot may appear to
extend past 1 even when the values themselves don't do that.

Best wishes
Gordon