[BioC] DESeq mean,var

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Sat Jan 14 00:12:18 CET 2012

Jan/11/12 1:47 PM, Bruce Moran(External) scripsit::
> I am using DESeq for RNAseq data. I am interested in comparing the
> distribution of my samples individually with that of the model used by
> DESeq for all of my data, hoping to rationalise exclusion of several
> samples by this method. Where can I find the estimated mean, variance
> for the model fitted to my data within the output? I assume it is
> created after the nbinomtest function but have dissected the output
> without success. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Dear Bruce

thanks for the question. In DESeq, mean and variance are computed for
each gene, but are computed across samples, and are not a per-sample
property.

If you would like to do per-sample quality control, my suggestion is to
use variance stabilising transformation (see Section 6 of the vignette)
and then the arrayQualityMetrics package.

Best wishes
	Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber
EMBL