[BioC] limma topTable with gene symbols in output: annotate problem

Carlson, Marc R mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Tue Jan 17 18:38:31 CET 2012

Hi Stephen,

Can I please have the output from sessionInfo()?  It is necessary so that I know what version of R you are using etc.  For my answers below I will have to assume that you are using the latest one, but if you aren't, then all bets are off.  And have you seen the posting guide?  If not you can find it here:

Now if I test "hugene10stprobeset.db", I can see that it works for me:

ids = c("8039755","7960952","8058922","8010074","8002354")
library("annotate")
library("hugene10stprobeset.db")
getSYMBOL(ids, "hugene10stprobeset.db")

So *if* you have legitimate probe IDs, then getSYMBOL() should work for you.  But if your probe IDs are not what you think they are, then you will get all NAs...  Looking at our list of ".db packages", are you sure that you are supposed to be using "hugene10stprobeset.db" and not "hugene10sttranscriptcluster.db"?

Also, calling getSYMBOL() on "hugene10stv1cdf" will never work, as the getSYMBOL function is expecting a ".db package" to be named as the second argument.

And I would actually recommend that you consider using the (hopefully more useful) new select() method.  Which you should be able to call like this:

select(hugene10stprobeset.db, keys = ids, cols = c("SYMBOL", "GENENAME"))

  Marc