[BioC] I AM NEW USER TO XCMS AND REALLY NEED HELP!

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Jan 18 15:14:24 CET 2012

Hi Habib,

On 1/17/2012 2:57 PM, HABIBALLAH HAMZEHZARGHANI wrote:

> I AM A NEW USED OF XCMS WHO DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO WORK WITH R BUT VERY INTERESTED TO TRY XCMS FOR DECONVOLUTION, BASE NOOISE CORRECTION AND PEAK ALIGNMENT OF MY NETCDF GCMS FILES.
> I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN ON YOUR WEBSITE @ http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/xcms.html
> TO INSTALL XCMS ON MY COMPOUTER. APPEARENTLY TO INSTALL XCMS Release (2.9), ONE SHOULD COPY AND PAST THE FOLLOWING SCRIPT INTO R:
> To install this package, start R and enter:
>      source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
>      biocLite("xcms")
>
> I DID EXACTLY THE SAME THING AND WHAT I GOT WAS THE MESSAGE SHOWING IN THE R CONSOLE AS SHOWN IN THE PICTURED INSERTED IN THE ATTACHED FILE.

The list servers will not pass picture files. A better option is to cut
and paste the output from your R console.

> I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I DID WRONG OR IF I NEEDED TO DO SOME PRELIMINARY PREPARATION I DID NOT DO?
> I TRIED FINDING OTHER WAYS AND WENT THROUGH Installation Instructions for xcms ON YOUR WEBSITE (@http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/xcms.html). I DOWNLOADED zipfiles of multtest, xcms and faahKO AND INSTALLED THEM USING INSTALL PACKAGES AND GOT THEM INSTALLED AND UNPACKED SUCCESSFULLY, HOWEVER WHEN I TRY USING IT, IT DOES NOT WORK. I AM JUST FRUSTRATED, SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP.

Installing packages by hand like that will often not work. Many
Bioconductor packages are tightly linked to both the version of R they
are designed for, as well as the version of dependent packages. The
biocLite() function automatically ensures that you get the correct
version of packages for your version of R, so you should always install
using that function.

You should always run sessionInfo(), and paste the output from that
function into your email as well. Unless we know what version of
packages you are using, it is not likely that we will be able to help.

Now for some etiquette. An email that is in ALL CAPS is not only hard to
read, but is considered rude (it's like yelling at someone), so please
use regular capitalization rules.

In addition, if you have a new question, please start with a new email,
rather than taking an existing thread and changing the Subject line.
Many people use thread-aware email clients, and this email would have
been attached to the thread about the Bioconductor AMI not being found,
so it would be much less likely that you would get a response.

Best,

Jim

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician