[BioC] ShortRead package

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Jul 6 11:25:49 CEST 2012

On 07/06/2012 10:10 AM, Fatemehsadat Seyednasrollah wrote:
> Hello every body
> I want to read a count read file with ShortRead package. When I make a AlignedRead object after reading the file, as the definition of object I have this line:
> class : AlignedRead
> length: 570000 reads, width : 36 cycles
>
> I want to know what does this "width" and "cycle" mean here?

Hi -- width is reporting the number of nucleotides in each read. In this
case it says you've got reads that have resulted from 36 cycles of
sequencing.  see also table(width(sread(aln))) for your AlignedRead
object; also depending on what you want to do (e.g., counting reads in
regions of interest) consider GenomicRanges::readGappedAlignments. The
vignettes in various packages -- vignette(package="ShortRead"),
vignette(package="GenomicRanges") -- can be helpful.

Martin