[BioC] edgeR dispersions

Mark Robinson mark.robinson at imls.uzh.ch
Sat Jul 7 21:32:04 CEST 2012

Hi Bogdan,

> thanks for your email : it was possible to use edgeR in the past  (previous
> versions)  with no replicates,
> (so of course there is no dispersion), but edgeR worked ..while now I am
> getting errors ... thanks,

The default has changed to make users make a conscious decision of what to do about having no replicates.  The previous default (setting dispersion to a low value) was probably not ideal.

As Alessandro says, read the "What to do if you have no replicates" section of the user's guide:
http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/vignettes/edgeR/inst/doc/edgeRUsersGuide.pdf

Best,
Mark

----------