[BioC] Influence of expression correlation on false positive ratio

January Weiner january.weiner at mpiib-berlin.mpg.de
Mon Jul 9 13:53:57 CEST 2012

Hi Jeff, many thanks.

> If the tests are only dependent in small groups, say because genes are
> grouped into small modules,  then most FDR methods in the p.adjust()
> function or the methods in the qvalue package will work.

Yes, but I wonder how it behaves in light of a more extensive
co-expression network (see for example the 2003 Stuart paper in
Science, http://www.sciencemag.org/content/302/5643/249.short). Has
anyone tried to simulate this? The co-expression modules, as have been
found in many papers, are sometimes anything but small.

> The Bonferroni
> correction controls a more conservative error rate, but also holds under
> dependence.

Sure, Bonferroni does not assume independence of the test, but it's
meager power means that many are not even considering this as an
option (I definitely use it when the test is strictly in hypothesis
testing mode and not further experiments are planned).

Best regards,
j.