[BioC] Influence of expression correlation on false positive ratio

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Wed Jul 11 14:22:50 CEST 2012

January,

if you only require per-gene p-values and no multiple testing
adjustment, then the dependency is never a problem. The validity of
unadjusted per-gene p-values is unaffected by whether there is
dependency between the genes.

For multiple testing, if you do FWER by the Westfall-Young method, any
dependence is also no problem. If you do FDR by the Benjamini-Hochberg
method, problems can in principle occur if there is pervasive
dependence. Often this is caused by technical artifacts, which would be
addressed (and removed) by the methods mentioned by Jeff. If it is
biological, then a serial univariate analysis (gene-by-gene testing)
does not seem the cleverest choice of approach, and a truly multivariate
approach seems more advisable.

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang

Jeff Leek scripsit 07/09/2012 01:17 PM: