[BioC] Pasilla Package

David Parrish [guest] guest at bioconductor.org
Wed Jul 11 23:26:37 CEST 2012

Hi I'm working with the Pasilla and DEXSeq bioconductor package and I'm trying to replicate the example data, but the flattened .txt files processed using the provided dexseq_count.py script is not matching the example data provided in the source package. Although this isn't directly an 'R' script I'm hoping to someone here may be able to help since it is part of an R package. Additionally, I think the R documentation may contain an error (???) that I address in the text below. Thanks in advance for any help. I'm hoping to use these examples in order to understand how they are working so I can process my own data eventually, but want to make sure they are functioning properly with the provided example data as well.

Here is what I did:

- download copies of the source packages for pasilla and DEXSeq
- copied the python scripts to the directory containing example data for pasilla (/inst/extdata)
- went to http://www.embl.de/~reyes/Graveley/bam/
- downloaded the bam files for treated1.bam and treated2.bam (because the source packages didn't seem to have these, but the above link was reference in the R documentation for downloading the BAM files).
- used the .gff package already processed in the pasilla package
- did the following in terminal

#This is for an example for processing a single-read type alignment

#creates an indexed bam file

$ samtools index treated1.bam

#converts the bam file to a sam file

$ samtools view treated1.bam > treated1.sam

#calls the python script dexseq_count to count the reads in the non-overlapping exotic parts.

$ python dexseq_count.py Dmel.BDGP5.25.62.DEXSeq.chr.gff treated1.sam treated1fb_TEST.txt

#This is an example for processing a paired-end type alignment

#creates an indexed bamfile

$ samtools index treated2.bam

#converts the nam file to a sam file

$ samtools view treated2.bam > treated2.sam

#sorts the sam file by position (-k option); and I'm assuming the bam in the tutorial is a typo here because in the R documentation the output is a sorted BAM file, but in the next line it is a sorted SAM file. I did try the leaving it has a bam file as well, but as expected received an error "no such file or directory"

$ sort -k 1,1 -k2,2n treated2.sam > treated2_sorted.sam

#runs the python script dexseq_count on paired-end data for the processed sam file treated_2_sorted in order to count thee reads in each non-overlapping exonic part.

python dexseq_count.py -p yes Dmel.BDGP5.25.62.DEXSeq.chr.gff treated2_sorted.sam treated2fb_TEST.txt

- I've provided the first 10 lines of both the example data and the processed output.

I also have a second question (which I will also post on a Seq forum in case it can not be addressed here in an R/bioconductor forum); since these python scripts are part of the HTSeq library why must the paired-end data be sorted  by position and not by read name using samtools (since it was already called twice previously) as is conducted for the htseq-count script?

Thanks again

output of .txt (1st 10 lines)

SINGLE READ:
treated1fb_pasilla example.txt
FBgn0000003:001	0
FBgn0000008:001	0
FBgn0000008:002	1
FBgn0000008:003	3
FBgn0000008:004	2
FBgn0000008:005	8
FBgn0000008:006	0
FBgn0000008:007	17
FBgn0000008:008	4
FBgn0000008:009	35

treated1fb_my processed output.txt (TEST)
FBgn0000003:001	0
FBgn0000008:001	0
FBgn0000008:002	0
FBgn0000008:003	0
FBgn0000008:004	1
FBgn0000008:005	4
FBgn0000008:006	1
FBgn0000008:007	18
FBgn0000008:008	4
FBgn0000008:009	16

PAIRED-END:
treated2fb_pasilla example.txt
FBgn0000003:001	1
FBgn0000008:001	0
FBgn0000008:002	0
FBgn0000008:003	1
FBgn0000008:004	0
FBgn0000008:005	2
FBgn0000008:006	1
FBgn0000008:007	22
FBgn0000008:008	7
FBgn0000008:009	46

treated2fb_my processed output.txt (TEST)
FBgn0000003:001	0
FBgn0000008:001	0
FBgn0000008:002	0
FBgn0000008:003	1
FBgn0000008:004	0
FBgn0000008:005	1
FBgn0000008:006	0
FBgn0000008:007	8
FBgn0000008:008	1
FBgn0000008:009	17

 -- output of sessionInfo():

R version 2.15.0 (2012-03-30)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] pasilla_0.2.11     DESeq_1.8.3        locfit_1.5-8       DEXSeq_1.2.0       Biobase_2.16.0     BiocGenerics_0.2.0

 [1] annotate_1.34.1      AnnotationDbi_1.18.1 biomaRt_2.12.0       DBI_0.2-5            genefilter_1.38.0    geneplotter_1.34.0
 [7] grid_2.15.0          hwriter_1.3          IRanges_1.14.4       lattice_0.20-6       plyr_1.7.1           RColorBrewer_1.0-5
[13] RCurl_1.91-1         RSQLite_0.11.1       splines_2.15.0       statmod_1.4.14       stats4_2.15.0        stringr_0.6
[19] survival_2.36-14     XML_3.9-4            xtable_1.7-0

--
Sent via the guest posting facility at bioconductor.org.