[BioC] Antw: Re: limma voom: How to create double contrasts?

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Wed Jul 18 15:43:22 CEST 2012

Hi Christian,

On 7/18/2012 9:11 AM, Christian Ametz wrote:
> Hi James,
> thanks for your help. The problem with this interaction is, that I
> find nearly none DE transcripts in our RNA-Seq experiment (3
> replicates) while based on our microarray results we expect something
> in the range of a few hundreds...

I am currently doing some comparisons between RNA-seq and microarray
results as well (using edgeR rather than voom()), and see surprisingly
little overlap between the two. I can come up with many reasons why this
might be so, but without knowing the true underlying status of the
transcript abundance it is not possible to know which platform does a
better job of estimating what is really happening. Just knowing that
they are different isn't particularly enlightening.

> Am I correct that this interaction finds significance if a) the
> expression of the two groups is sig. different, or b) the fold-change
> ratio is different (ie. C1 goes from 100 to 1000 when treating with
> Fusarium compared to mock while C2 goes just from 50 to 100)  or) C1
> is upregulated while C2 is downregulated when treated with Fusarium
> and vice versa.

There are two issues here. First, the numerator of the interaction
contrast is exactly as you have specified, so it is the difference
between Fusarium vs mock for the two genotypes. This can be significant
for a variety of reasons (e.g., C1 goes up in F vs M, C2 goes down in
the same comp, or C1 doesn't change, but C2 either goes up or down, or
C1 goes up or down and C2 doesn't change).

So you are literally looking for any gene where C1F-C1M-C2F+C2M is
significantly different from zero, regardless of how that came about. As
for fold change, you could hypothetically filter on the fold change of
one or the other 'subcontrasts', but in general I think people just
filter on the sum of the contrast. In which case you cannot say anything
about the underlying contrasts (e.g., C1F-C1M might have a 0.5 log FC,
and C2F-C2M might have a -0.5 log FC, which sums to 1 in the
interaction, but neither contrast is significant at a two-fold FC).

> My problem is to interpret the contrasts correctly, besides the basic
> contrasts. So basically whats the difference between this two contrasts:
> Diff_C1C2=(C1F-C1M)-(C2F-C2M) and
> Diff_C1C2_new = (C1F+C2F)/2-(C1M+C2M)/2 ?

This is simple algebra, so don't over think things. We have gone over
the interaction term, so let's think about the second contrast you are
looking at. The first term is the average expression for the C1F and C2F
samples, and the second term is the average of the C1M and C2M samples.
And you are computing the difference between the two, so it is simply
the difference between F and M, averaged over the C1 and C2 genotypes.

This might be something of interest, if you either think the C1 and C2
genotypes aren't really that different, or if you are looking for genes
that react similarly in the two genotypes.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.