[BioC] Simple conceptual question

Gustavo Fernández Bayón gbayon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 10:29:03 CEST 2012

---------------------------
Enviado con Sparrow (http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/?sig)

El jueves 19 de julio de 2012 a las 10:06, Djie Tjwan Thung escribió:

> Hi Gustavo,
>
> Normalization, at least when you do it the "lumi" way is done at the probe level, and as each locus is assigned to a fixed color, the normalization is actually done over the M and U values. So if you have real raw data you can pull it through your pipeline: color adjustment, background subtraction, normalization. The color adjustment takes the red and green signals into account and from my understanding this is done to make the loci more comparable.
That is what I was thinking about, but Tim's answers has made me think that in the 27k it might not be as important, as the probes are all of the same type. Unless, of course, we are planning to take into account the wrong channel residual intensities in more advanced methods.

> Q3) Sure that is alright. If you suspect low quality, you can use HumMeth27QCReport (a CRAN package)

Thanks for the link!
> to plot some of the control probe values or you can ask if they have some control plots from GenomeStudio.

That's a good idea too. I'll ask them ASAP.
> Ofcourse it could also be possible that the sample population is not suitable for finding DMR's (like very heterogeneous disease vs control)

Yes, that might be a possibility. We currently have no clear idea of what they are trying to do, nor the global structure of their experiment.
> Disclaimer: Im still a bachelor student, so dont make me accountable for any mistakes ;-) I'm sure there is someone around there with more wisdom, who can answer your questions more thoroughly.

I currently hold a PhD in Machine Learning, although I have been apart from the research world for 4 years. But, when talking about bioinformatics, I am a complete beginner, willing to learn from everybody, including you, of course. :) And, if your answers are going to be as informative as this one, be sure I'll learn a lot from them.

> Cheers,
>
> Djie

Regards,
Gus