[BioC] obtain the chromosome position/coordinates for probes on Affymetrix Human Exon 1.0 array

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Thu Jul 19 16:15:42 CEST 2012

Hi Shirley,

On 7/19/2012 10:02 AM, shirley zhang wrote:
> Thanks Jim for your information.
>
> The package you pointed out only provides the Exon-level probeset
> chromosome location. What I want is probe-level chromosome location.
> For each 25bp probe, Affymetrix provides its sequence, and positionX
> and positionY on the Chip, but not the position on Human reference genome.
>
> Do you have any other suggestions? Does package GenomeFeatures have
> this functionality?

No, that package is designed to deal with already aligned data (for
which you would already have the data you desire).

I would recommend using Biostrings and the requisite BSgenome package.
Aligning fixed width sequences with no indels or mismatches is much
simpler than the typical alignment problem, for which matchPDict() is
ideally suited.

Please see

http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.10/bioc/vignettes/BSgenome/inst/doc/GenomeSearching.pdf

particularly section 8, 'Finding all the patterns of a constant width
dictionary in an entire genome'.

Best,

Jim

--