[BioC] boxplot a big list?

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Thu Jul 19 21:58:38 CEST 2012

Hi John,

On 7/19/2012 3:45 PM, John linux-user wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Could you please advise how to boxplot a big list (~2million *70) into a small pdf file? I did it using R boxplot and it generated a pdf file in>20MB that is hard to open. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

There are two things that come to my mind. First, do you really need to
use all those data? I would bet that a sample of say 1e5 from each list
item would give essentially the same picture.

Alternatively, you might consider using a bitmapped graphic rather than
a vector graphic. I am assuming here that you have lots of outlier
points (outside the whiskers) that are slowing things down. You could
use a png, and as long as you aren't resizing it should look OK.

Best,

Jim