[BioC] GOstats: get genes for correspondâ ing enriched GO term

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Sun Jul 22 04:37:25 CEST 2012

On 7/21/2012 9:43 PM, Lan Sky wrote:
> Hi, Jim
> Thanks for your information.
> I actually don't have any probesetID.
> I only used yeast ORF id to perform the GO.
> Do I need to do some mapping from ORF to probeset?
> In the message I got, it says, "If you want to know theprobesets that
> contributed to this result
> either usea named vector for geneIds, or pass a vector of probeset IDs
> via sigProbesets."
> "either use a named vector for geneIds."
> what is that supposed to be the input?
>
> Dose it mean geneId instead of probeset?

It depends on how you did things. You have been pretty cryptic about
what you have done, so we have to read between the lines. In general,
people use microarray data to do GO analyses. In which case the genes
are interrogated by one or more 'reporter' molecules, which if the
manufacturer is Affymetrix, are called probesets.

When you have a significant GO term, one might want to know which of the
significant reporter molecules contributed to that result. So in the
case of an Affy analysis, you would pass in a vector of probeset IDs. So
if you don't have Affy data, then I assume you have some other
manufacturer IDs you could use. Perhaps you could feed in gene IDs, but
that wasn't the original intent, and may not work.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.