[BioC] edgeR: design matrix for different condition

KJ Lim jinkeanlim at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 12:58:07 CEST 2012

Dear Prof Gordon,

Good day. Thanks for your prompt replied.

Please allow me to rephrase my previous question.

This model,  ~tree+treat,  is assumed effect of the time of treatment
will be the same irrespective of genotype. Thus, test for the coef=3
will gives me the differential expression at 96H irrespective of
genotype.

I would like to learn the differential expression of treeHS vs treeLS
at specific time points i.e. 24H or if possible across the whole time
points. Should I fit my model as

  model A: ~tree*treat    OR   model B: ~tree+tree:treat ?

The design matrix columns of model B give:
  "(Intercept)"  "treeLS"  "treeHS:treat03H"  "treeLS:treat03H"
"treeHS:treat24H"  "treeLS:treat24H"  "treeHS:treat96H"
"treeLS:treat96H"

Am I doing right if I fit the model B and test for the coef=3:4 to
learn the differential expression of treeHS vs treeLS at specific time
points i.e. 03H? Does this test could tells me which set of genes
up/down-regulated in treeLS or treeHS?

I'm not good in statistic and I'm learning,  kindly please correct me
if I'm wrong.

Thank you very much for your time and suggestion.

Best regards,
KJ Lim