[BioC] XML package cannot be installed

Wayne Zhang [guest] guest at bioconductor.org
Sat Jul 28 11:03:51 CEST 2012

in order to install the "charm" package in R in my laptop I installed the dependent pakages first. But during the process of installing the package XML",  I encounted an error below.
Could you help me out? Thanks.

 -- output of sessionInfo():

   package ‘XML’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
No ability to remove finalizers on externalptr objects in this verison of R
checking for sed... /bin/sed
checking for xml2-config... no
Cannot find xml2-config
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘XML’
* removing ‘/usr/lib64/R/library/XML

sessionInfo()
R version 2.15.1 (2012-06-22)
Platform: x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=C                 LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

Sent via the guest posting facility at bioconductor.org.