[BioC] general question about omogeneity of variances between microarray groups

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Tue Jul 31 21:48:17 CEST 2012

Hi Guido,

On 7/31/2012 5:13 AM, Guido Leoni wrote:
> Dear list
> I'm performing some microarrays analysis for a simple case(15 microarrays)
> , control(3 microarrays) experiment design.
> Don't ask me the reason for which i have a so unbalanced dataset ;-)
> In order to detect differentially expressed genes I wish to perform a LIMMA
> analysis...but checking the omogeneity of variances with bartlett test I
> observ a difference statistically significative between cases and controls.

If you are using limma, you will be shrinking your variance estimates
towards an overall value, so I doubt that the unbalanced design will be
a big concern.

> According to your experience:
> Is a good idea before doing a parametric analysis checking the variances
> utilizing Bartlett test?

That might be an issue if you are doing a handful of tests, but I don't
see the applicability when you are doing thousands.

> In my case a non parametric test(like SAM) might be better than LIMMA?

SAM isn't non-parametric. The biggest difference between limma and SAM
is that you are using permutation to construct a null distribution in
the case of SAM, but you use a conventional t-distribution for limma.
However, in both cases you are estimating parameters and comparing to a
null distribution.

Best,

Jim