[BioC] understanding multiples matches between probesets and entrezgene (biomart)

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Wed Jun 13 18:13:53 CEST 2012

Hi Juliet,

On 6/13/2012 11:01 AM, Juliet Hannah wrote:
> All,
>
> I understand the concept of multiple probesets corresponding to one
> identifier. But what is the meaning of
> a probeset corresponding to multiple identifiers?  And below, given
> that 220547_s_at has a match,
> why should another row be returned with NA.
>
> Did I happen to choose a few probesets where the gene definition is
> changing, or am I misunderstanding
> something else, such as the biomart syntax.

I'm not sure about the NA being returned. That probably has something to
do with how the Biomart database is set up.

As for the multiple genes per probeset, this has to do with the fact
that a 25-mer isn't really long enough to distinguish between genes with
relatively high homology. This is supposed to be reflected in the
probeset ID, although things have changed quite a bit since UniGene
build 133.

The probeset you are showing below has a _s_at identifier, which
indicates that it cross-hybridizes to multiple members of a related gene
family (in this case the FAM35 gene family). There are other identifiers
like the _x_at which indicates cross-hybridization to unrelated genes.

http://www.affymetrix.com/support/help/faqs/hgu133/index.jsp

Best,

Jim