[BioC] Use probesets with highest baseline expression for differntial gene

Ekta Jain Ekta_Jain at jubilantbiosys.com
Thu Mar 1 05:40:57 CET 2012

Dear  Gordon,
That worked fantastic.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Ekta

-----Original Message-----
From: Gordon K Smyth [mailto:smyth at wehi.EDU.AU]
Sent: 24 February 2012 05:00
To: Ekta Jain
Subject: Use probesets with highest baseline expression for differntial gene

Dear Ekta,

Jim as already pointed out that you have some incorrect perceptions about
what limma does by default.

If you need to keep one probe for each gene symbol after a limma lmFit,
and you want to choose the probe with highest average expression, it is
easy to do like this.  I will assume that your linear model fit object is
called 'fit', and your annotation includes a column called "Symbol"
containing the gene symbol.

    o <- order(fit$Amean, decreasing=TRUE)
    dup <- duplicated(fit$genes$Symbol[o])
    fit.unique <- fit[o,][!dup,]

Now your fit object fit.unique has only one row for each symbol.

This sort of filtering has been done in many papers when it is wished to
match symbols across platforms, or to do gene set testing.

Best wishes
Gordon