[BioC] how edgeR control outliers?

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Mar 1 23:50:10 CET 2012

Dear Yuan,

The deviance is a standard quantity in generalized linear model theory,
analogous to the residual sum of squares in ANOVA.  It is usually treated
as chisquare distributed, although this approximation can be rough in some
cases.  See for example:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deviance_(statistics)

Yes, when I said to test for outliers using the gof() function in

   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2012-January/043187.html

I meant that outliers are those with large gof statistics.  The
calculation of p-values to test for outliers is already done for you by
the gof() function.

Figure 2 of the following article provides some plots of gof() statistics:

   http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2012/01/28/nar.gks042

The plots are made by

  g <- gof(fit)
  z <- zscoreGamma(g$gof.statistics,shape=gof$df/2,scale=2)
  qqnorm(z)

Another very useful diagnostic is to plot the tagwise dispersion against
abundance.  Outliers may appear as large dispersions.  In the
developmental version of edgeR, there is a function plotBCV() provided to
do this.

Best wishes
Gordon