[BioC] Using Anova for microarray data

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Mon Mar 26 17:04:50 CEST 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM, konika chawla <chawla at bio.ntnu.no> wrote:
> Hi
> Sorry but if you mean
> http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.6/bioc/vignettes/limma/inst/doc/usersguide.pdf
> <http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.6/bioc/vignettes/limma/inst/doc/usersguide.pdf>
> There is nothing about using anova in this document.
> Could you please point me to another document, which explains ANOVA?
> Thanks
> Konika

Hi, Konika.

Limma uses the concept of a linear model.  ANOVA is a subset of this
class of models.  If you use limma on single-channel or
common-reference two-color data, the limma approach is conceptually
equivalent to ANOVA on each gene.  In using limma, you also get the
benefit of pooled variance estimates, important for relatively small
sample sizes typical of microarrays.

Sean