[BioC] some questions about lumi package and Illumina arrays

Wei Shi shi at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Mar 30 00:18:35 CEST 2012

Dear Javier,

Firstly, let me point out that limma has its own pipeline for analyzing Illumina BeadChip data, which includes data input, neqc normalization, differential expression analysis, etc.. Section 11.7 in limma user's guide gives a case study for analyzing BeadChip data. The analysis included was performed at probe level.

We always perform probe level expression analysis for Illumina arrays. If you want to perform gene level analysis, you'll have to summarize probes to genes in some way. However, different probes for the same gene might have variable expression levels, due to multiple isoforms and other factors. This makes it hard to summarize probes and doing so may result in misleading results.

On the other hand, you can choose a representative probe for each gene after you perform the probe level analysis, by choosing the one which has the largest average expression value across all samples for example. This will give you one expression value for each gene in each sample, if this is what you want.

Cheers,
Wei