[BioC] NuIDs not found

Ed Siefker ebs15242 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 23:26:51 CEST 2012

I am using minfi to analyze some illumina 450K arrays.
I have a list of differentially methylated positions that
I want to convert to gene names, or something useful.

There's no information on annotation in the minfi
manual, but I can get the sequence from
'IlluminaHumanMethylation450kmanifest'.

I found the pdf "Resolve the inconsistency of
Illumina identifiers through nuID", which sounds
like it should help me do what want.

If I understand correctly, all I have to do is convert my
sequence to a nuID, and then conver the nuID to a
refseq or gene symbol or what have you.

I can do the first part easily:

>ProbeInfo <- getProbeInfo(IlluminaHumanMethylation450kmanifest, type ="I")
> head(dmp, n=1)
           intercept        f         pval         qval
cg07466271  2.232301 39.90621 1.447446e-09 0.0006144155

> which(ProbeInfo$Name == "cg07466271")
[1] 77780

> ProbeInfo[77780,]
             Name AddressA AddressB Color NextBase
293109 cg07466271 49719346 67746443   Red        A
                                                ProbeSeqA
293109 TAACCCAAACCCCACTTCAAATACACAACAAATTCCTTATAAAAACCTCA
                                                ProbeSeqB nCpG
293109 TAACCCGAACCCCGCTTCAAATACACAACAAATTCCTTATAAAAACCTCG    2

> seq2id("TAACCCAAACCCCACTTCAAATACACAACAAATTCCTTATAAAAACCTCA")
[1] "ZwVAVR9AxEED18wAXQ"

Great, now I have my nuID.  The problem occurs when I try to convert this
into something useful:

> library(lumiHumanIDMapping)
> if(require(lumiHumanIDMapping)) nuID2RefSeqID("ZwVAVR9AxEED18wAXQ", lib.mapping='lumiHumanIDMapping')
The provided names of filterTh does not match the field names of
nuID_MappingInfo table.
 No filtering will be performed.
ZwVAVR9AxEED18wAXQ
                NA
Warning message:
In getNuIDMappingInfo(nuID, lib.mapping = lib.mapping) :
  No matches were found!

I also tried it with 'lumiHumanAll.db', and got the same result:

> library(annotate)
> getSYMBOL("ZwVAVR9AxEED18wAXQ", 'lumiHumanAll.db')
ZwVAVR9AxEED18wAXQ
                NA

I get the same thing if I try it with the "IlluminaHumanMethylation450k.db"
package:

> library("IlluminaHumanMethylation450k.db")
> getSYMBOL("ZwVAVR9AxEED18wAXQ", 'IlluminaHumanMethylation450k.db')
ZwVAVR9AxEED18wAXQ
                NA

What's going on here?