[BioC] edgeR outlier question

Simon Melov smelov at buckinstitute.org
Tue May 8 03:22:42 CEST 2012

Hi Alessandro,
I don't think this helps me, as I'm not looking to eliminate an entire gene based on a single replicate. I mentioned in my original post that I had applied the filtering discussed at length in the guide, (allowing genes with at least one read, in a minimum of 8 samples was my filtering criteria). But this doesn't address the problem of a very high level of reads in a single sample. This issue of variance should be incorporated into the analysis, and not result in genes being listed as significant due to a high levels in a single sample. This sort of problem is not unusual in the genomics world, and I think the microarray literature had numerous solutions to this sort of problem. I'm surprised it popped up so early in my analysis, as I thought this would have been "solved" by now. As a later poster alluded to, perhaps its due to a relatively "high" number of biological replicates (N=10 per group). This number of replicates going forward is going to be commonplace as sequencing costs tumble. So some guidance as to how to deal with this in edgeR would be very welcome.

thanks

Simon.