[BioC] v is for values()

Fri May 11 22:05:32 CEST 2012

Here's another idea -- maybe a bad one, but still.

What if we were to make a "BiocInteractive" package and put this kind
of stuff in there?

You could load the package when you're poking at data interactively,
but ensure that your package doesn't Import or Depend on it -- not
sure if there is a universal check you can do for that, but perhaps
you'd put a warning("Don't import this") on its .onAttach or
something.

You might even put the dreaded values() / $ thing for GRanges in
there, and everyone could have their cake and eat it, too.

-steve

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Steve Lianoglou
<mailinglist.honeypot at gmail.com> wrote:
> But honestly tho:
>
>> back to emd() or dat() or some such then?
>
> The difference between values and emd/dat is 3 characters -- is this
> really going to make a difference? A one-letter accessor or bust! (or
> use `$` already! :)
>
> But also:
>
> Are you accessing the values() alot, or changing/adding to them?
>
> I should check, but do the with/within constructs work with DataFrame
> objects, maybe going that route can help in the tedium?
>
> For example, when you're accessing the elementMetadata() often:
>
> with(values(gr), {
>  ## do lots of stuff w/ the columns
> })
>
> or if you want to tack on a bunch of junk to the metadata:
>
> values(gr) <- within(values(gr), {
>  ## what
>  ## ever
>  ## return some augmented version of your values()
> })
>
> You know?
>
> -steve
>
> --
> Steve Lianoglou
>  | Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
>  | Weill Medical College of Cornell University

Steve Lianoglou