[BioC] edgeR outlier question

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun May 13 13:51:19 CEST 2012

I'm commenting just on point 5 below.

It is certainly true that edgeR is able to borrow information between
genes, meaning that only part of a parameter is used up for estimating the
dispersion for each gene, i.e., between 1 and 2 parameters total for gene.

However DESeq, from what I understand, uses either a global dispersion
estimate or a purely genewise estimate for each gene.  Always one of the
extremes, never anything in between.  So it estimates either 1 or 2
parameters for each gene, not an intermediate quantity.

Gordon