[BioC] how to design matrix by edgeR

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon May 21 04:37:22 CEST 2012

Dear Shan Gao,

There are many legitimate ways to define a design matrix.  The best way
depends on what questions you want to answer or what hypotheses you want
to test.

It looks like you have 35 libraries in total (24 treatment samples and 11
control samples).  Is this right?  Are all the libraries biologically
indendent?

I assume that the control samples have received some sort of inactive
treatment for the same time period as the active samples.

What is it that you want to test?  Do you want to find DE genes between
treatment and control at each time?  Or do you want to find genes are DE
at each time vs 0h, adjusting for control differences?

In any case, you need to create a factors Time and Treatment.  There are
of length equal to the number of samples (35).  Time takes values from 0
up to 48.  Treatment takes two values, Treatment or Control, say.

If you can respond to these questions, then I'll give you more help with
the design matrix and so on.

Best wishes
Gordon