[BioC] question about how analysis affymetrix huex st array

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Wed May 23 19:45:05 CEST 2012

Dear Jianhong,

You do not describe what you are comparing:

You say that you tried oligo, xps, aroma.affymetrix, and also
APT(Affymetrix Power Tools). Then you say that only the results of MiDAS
from APT and results of FIRMA from aroma.affymetrix have about 40%
overlap. All the others have less than 10% overlap.
What do you mean with less than 10% overlap???
What did you compare???

Please note that MIDAS was developed by Affymetrix as alternative to
ANOVA to measure differences between exon level signal...
The Affymetrix "exon_alt_transcript_analysis_whitepaper.pdf" says:
The basic idea is the following:
• We use PLIER to generate a robust estimate...

It seems that you are comparing apples and oranges, since you seem to
compare MIDAS (based on PLIER) to RMA!?

If you want to compare the different packages you need to compare the
results obtained from e.g. RMA and not from MIDAS, which most packages
did not implement (although xps has implemented FIRMA).

With respect to APT vs xps please read the vignette "APTvsXPS.pdf" where
the reasons for the slight differences between the RMA results obtained
with APT or xps are explained.

Regards
Christian
C.h.r.i.s.t.i.a.n   S.t.r.a.t.o.w.a