[BioC] Fwd: heatmap.2 question

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Thu May 24 17:18:17 CEST 2012

Hi Alyaa,

On 5/24/2012 11:04 AM, Alyaa Mahmoud wrote:
> Hi All
>
> How can I possibly extract the clusters by rows from a heatmap generated by
> heatmap.2 function. i.e. the heatmap is generated with colouring for every
> cluster of rows and I want to retrieve the members of each cluster.

Note that heatmap.2() uses hclust() to create the clusters. There is a
function cutree() that can be used to get the groups from the output of
hclust().

Also note that heatmap.2() invisibly returns a list that includes both
the row and column dendrograms (by returning the list invisibly, you
don't get a bunch of junk printed out to your console. However, if you
use the assignment function (<-) to assign the output to an object, you
can then extract whichever dendrogram you want.).

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.