[BioC] Create A Stranded probeAnno Object

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Fri May 25 02:15:10 CEST 2012

Dear Dario

please can you next time be clearer which package you are refering to.
'probeAnno' objects are defined in at least two packages: 'tilingArray'
and 'Ringo'. (In R there is no assumption that the same class name can
be used only by a single package in the world, this is why R has name
spaces.)

Assuming that you mean the tilingArray package, the 1st sentence of
Section 2 in the vignette says:
   The function plotAlongChrom accepts an environment as its first
argument, which is expected to contain objects of class segmentation
with names given by paste(chr, c("+", "-"), sep="."), where chr is the
chromosome identifier.

So the strand is implied by the name of the segmentation object, e.g.
"1.+" and "1.-" correspond to the Watson and Crick stands of chromosome
1 respectively.

Regarding the design: the tilingArray package was written in 2005, 06.
It predates GRanges, the oligo package, and almost anything else of that
sort. The Ringo package was written later and corrected many of the less
streamlined aspects of the initial attempt. The IRanges-infrastructure
was developed more recently, and is by far much more elegant and performant.

Personally, I do not see much value in refactoring the old tiling array
code from the middle of last decade, when most people in the meanwhile
have moved on to high-throughput sequencing, and the those who still use
tiling arrays normally have lots of legacy code. However, you should
feel free to do so, and you could contribute a tiling array package that
you actually like :)

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang

May/23/12 11:00 AM, Dario Strbenac scripsit::

--
Best wishes
	Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber