[BioC] error installing Rgraphviz

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Mon May 28 22:24:27 CEST 2012

[cc'ing bioconductor list so others can benefit from this]

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Mark Miller
<mark.wayne.miller at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> Below is my current PATH statement:
>
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files\Dell\DW
> WLAN Card;;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64;C:\Program Files
> (x86)\AMD
> APP\bin\x86;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program
> Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program
> Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\;C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth
> Software\syswow64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
> Live\Shared;c:\MinGW\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Graphviz2.20

The directory that should be in your PATH is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Graphviz2.20\bin

(note the \bin at the end). That is where the DLL is located that
Rgraphviz is complaining about, as well as other files it needs.

> You are correct that I had misspelled 'Graphviz' earlier.  I think I have
> spelled it correctly now.  I tried to check whether that was the problem by
> first correcting the spelling in the PATH statement and then trying to
> re-install Rgraphviz.  However, I still received errors.
>
> Next I uninstalled Graphviz.  I noted that I had to manually remove Graphviz
> from the PATH statement.  Then I re-installed Graphviz and added it back to
> the PATH statement.  I still receive the pop-up error message described
> earlier after re-installing Rgraphviz.
>
> In between uninstalling and re-installing or between correcting, removing
> and adding text to the PATH statement I performed frequent reboots followed
> by use of the 'echo %PATH%' command statement to check the PATH.

You do not need to reboot your machine after chaning the PATH. You
just need to close and reopen the command prompt window.

> I think this covers your earlier suggestions.  Sorry if I overlooked any.
>
> I was hoping to install Rgraphviz because I was hoping to explore R's
> ability to act as a GIS system and a reference book on the subject used
> Rgraphviz in at least one example file.  I do not know how frequently
> Rgraphviz is used by that reference, so I do not yet know how critical
> Rgraphviz will be for me in pursuing that exploration.
>
> Regardless, thank you for your help.  Let me know if I can provide
> additional useful information.

If the above suggestions do not help, please send the output of the
sessionInfo() command. I'm wondering if you are running 32- or 64-bit
R. If 64, then you'll need to install a different version of Graphviz.

Dan