[BioC] ComBat

W. Evan Johnson wej at bu.edu
Thu Nov 1 22:57:31 CET 2012

Hi Tam,

Sorry about the confusion. Two items:

1. Adding a column of numbers (row number) is a a known "harmless" bug in the ComBat function. It is basically adding a row of column numbers to your dataset, which can easily just be deleted in Excel (and the data can be shifted over). However I recognize that your case is a little different, hence:

2. On line 3154, your gene description has some character formatting that is causing issues with R's "read.table" function--which is used by ComBat. I think its reading the apostrophe as quoted text, so it is then concatenating everything after that as text until the next apostrophe. Anyway, here is how you fix it: open up your dataset ('12arraysCombatImputed_2.txt') in Excel, then save it as a .csv. Then run ComBat using the option: type='csv'. Alternatively, you can remove the second column from your dataset for ComBat and then add them back in after adjustment.

I just did this myself on your data and it worked. However, you still need to delete the column numbers from item #1 before the data are ready to go!

Also, I noticed that your variances are also not well-behaved (see the plot that comes up), so I'd recommend that you use a non-parametric prior (par.prior=F). Note that this may take an hour or so to run so make sure that the parametric prior is working before you try the non-parametric one.

Thanks!

Evan

Okay, I looked at your data. On line 3154, R's "read.table"