[BioC] Missing Values after cyclic loess in limma

Claus Mayer [guest] guest at bioconductor.org
Fri Nov 2 18:45:17 CET 2012

Hello,

I am just working on my first ever single channel Agilent array data set. Because I do expect large changes in differential expression I wanted to use the cyclic loess normalisation within limma rather than quantile normalisation. I used the default settings i.e.

y<-normalizeBetweenArrays(x,method="cyclicloess")

where x is the ELlistRaw object. As expected this took a while but to my surprise produced hundreds of missing values for each array as indicated by the message

Warning message:
In log2(Recall(object$E, method = method, ...)) : NaNs produced

I checked the raw values which are all well above 0 and include no NAs. I also did not use any background correction, so I don't quite understand why logging should produce any missing values. I had assumed that the method would first log and then apply the cyclic loess algorithm, which in itself shouldn't produce any NAs either. Have I misunderstood something basic here?

Thanks,

Claus

 -- output of sessionInfo():

R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)