[BioC] BitSeq input data error

Peter Glaus glaus at cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Nov 6 16:02:24 CET 2012

Dear Fatemeh,
as for the mapper, TopHat uses Bowtie internally and they are both
suited for slightly different purpose and different scenarios. So using
Bowtie is ok as far as I can tell, because BitSeq works in slightly
different scenario than Cuffdiff.

With the reference, I think you have two options. If there is an
existing annotation for your reference, then you can run Cuffdiff with
an option which enables it to use the annotation (you provide gtf file
of known transcripts), so both programs start with same reference and
annotation, just in different format.
The other thing you could do is to use the GTF file produced by Cuffdiff
(or Cufflinks) and construct transcriptome based no that and genome
reference. BitSeq does not provide a tool for doing that, but MMSeq
package (http://bgx.org.uk/software/mmseq.html) has a program
extract_transcripts, which should be able to do it, but I don't think I
ever tried it myself, so you better look at their website for more
information about how to use it.

Peter.