[BioC] Is there any prejudice whether to use edgeR or DESeq for differential expression analysis for RNA Seq data

Nicolas Delhomme nicolas.delhomme at plantphys.umu.se
Wed Nov 7 16:10:57 CET 2012

Hi all,

There are some information about performing diff. exp. analysis after aligning with RSEM on the RSEM webpage: http://deweylab.biostat.wisc.edu/rsem/README.html#de. Using EBSeq, a (non yet Bioc as far as I can tell) R package.

Depending on how you ran RSEM - see there for RSEM output details: http://deweylab.biostat.wisc.edu/rsem/rsem-calculate-expression.html - you'll get TPM or FPKM values that are not suitable for being used with edgeR/DESeq.

But an interesting proxy for counts might be the "expected_count" column of the result file, i.e. count corrected for multiple mapping. Comparing the outcome of edgeR/DESeq using these and the result you'd obtain from EBSeq is certainly worth a try.

HTH,

Nico

Nicolas Delhomme

Nathaniel Street Lab