[BioC] Gviz DataTrack, type="densityplot"

Hahne, Florian florian.hahne at novartis.com
Thu Nov 15 18:04:14 CET 2012

Hi Brent,
I get what you are trying to do now. The only problem I see here is that
the coordinates of the 90 degrees rotated density plots are not
particularly meaningful anymore, at least not between different ranges.
The genomic locations associated to the data values are not necessarily
all of equal size. So if you plot two flipped density plots for
neighboring genomic regions with identical data values next to each other,
and one of those regions is much smaller than the other, you will end up
with one squished density plot. This may even look like the data
distributions are different, even though they are not.
I am not sure how you tried to add this to the drawGD method, but it will
not work out of the box with the density plot function (or
panel.densityplot). We will need to compute density estimates for each
group at each position and put the results together in one large vector to
plot it using panel.lines. If I find some time next week I can hack up a
quick prototype to check whether that is what you are aiming for. Maybe
something along the lines of a violin or beans plot would be a bit more
appropriate, although I am not sure how grouping would work out for those.
Cheers,
Florian