[BioC] GPU Computing with Flow Cytometry

Kevin Schiesser kevin.schiesser at ucsf.edu
Thu Nov 15 23:52:27 CET 2012

Hi y'all,

Does Bioconductor support GPU/multi-core computing for flow cytometry
data analysis?

For instance, in the flowMerge package there is a pFlowClust option.
When I load the flowMerge library, and call flowClust(), I get the
output 'Using the serial version of flowClust'. I have a quad-core
processor (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz) and a geForce GT
650M video card (CUDA enabled) running on Debian Testing 3.2.0-4-amd64.
What does pFlowClust look for to choose serial or parallel?

I ask because on my lowly laptop the runtime for flowClust(dat, K=1:10)
prohibits sound troubleshooting for a flowFrame with 9 stains. I would
like to optimize the hardware I have access to, but I am running out of
ideas. Any thoughts?

Much thanks,
Kevin